Roman Bust Drawings


After class last week I had the overly ambitious idea of drawing all the portraits busts in the MFA Roman exhibit. I later found out that four was enough for one day. I enjoy working with a ball point pen but not erasing does make the process more exhausting with having to keep track of each mark. I also wanted to see with these drawing what the effect would be like with no shading. The fact that Roman and Greek sculpture was often painted with bright colors is an interesting aspect of the pieces. There was show at Harvard a couple of years ago that I missed that displayed painted replicas with the colors that were found in trace amounts on the surface of the actual sculpture. There is more information on what they would have looked like here.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/true-colors.html



Comments

Popular Posts